This ensemble is dedicated to the study, rehearsal, and performance of jazz music.
The instrumentation will consist of a rhythm section (piano, vibraphone, guitar, bass, or drums) and one to four other instruments (flute, trumpet, saxophone, violin, or cello), depending on balance and ability level.
Material will be selected primarily from the jazz canon and supplemented by traditional melodies or popular classical music.
The Jazz Combo is open to players of all instruments. The group meets once a week and performs several times through the year.
The experience level in combos varies widely, and every effort is made to match players of similar ability levels.
The goals of the Jazz Combo include:
- Developing ear training and aural skills
- Understanding the major structural elements of jazz music
- Improving time-feel through syncopation and idiomatic jazz rhythms (including swing)
- Developing the ability to improvise (in any style)
- Increasing understanding of jazz performance practices (including non-verbal communication)
- Learning to appreciate jazz music and understanding its history
Skill Requirement: Suzuki Book 3 or equivalent ability